Thursday 10 November 2011

This Week 7-11 Novemeber


Development Environment

Set up my development environment for my honours project. It is a LAMP setup running on a virtual machine on VirtualBox. It is a TurnkeyLinux distro based of Ubuntu 10.04. Its incredibly lightweight and highly customisable, therefor should be a perfect based for my project.

Its accessible through http://garyshort.dyndns.org


Meeting With Nirmalie

My tasks for this this week is to finishing completing a test for the similarity algorithm. This consists of importing my test data for 50 recipes into a MySQL database, converting the similarity algorithm from last years coursework from PL/SQL and running the similarity algorithm for two recipes and record the results.

My tasks for next week is implementing the above into PHP. This consists of creating a PHP script that connects to the MySQL database and is able to run a saved function.

Further Research

A more detailed look into the coding of a crawler within scrapy to allow me to (semi) automate the importation of recipes from the WWW into my MySQL database.


Found a possible base for the site in that of userCake. Its an open source PHP user management system with a MySQL database backend. I will be doing more research into this but it looks well written and highly customisable.

Test version of userCake - http://garyshort.dyndns.org/

1 comment:

  1. First problem was accessing phpmyadmin from the university network as it was sitting on port 12322 which is blocked for outgoing traffic.

    Created an Alias with httpd.conf to listen for the directory so it can be accessed through port 80.

    ReplyDelete